Autor Tema: Ranking five NFL second-year QBs by chan  (Leído 220 veces)

lovelystyle

• Ver Perfil
Ranking five NFL second-year QBs by chan
« : abril 08, 2023, 04:02:55 am »
It's not guaranteed to happen every season, but it'd be a blast if it did. In consecutive seasons and made seismic jumps in their second years in the , Mahomes went from starting the regular season finale as a rookie to throwing 50 touchdowns and running away with the MVP award in 2018. Jackson was an unbelievable runner in his debut NFL season but was limited as a pa ser, then made huge strides throwing the football  Seattle Seahawks Jersey in Year 2 while gliding to the most rushing yards by a quarterback in league history.That got us thinking. What second-year quarterback can make a Mahomes or Jackson-esque ascension to superstardom? Instead of just listing one, I've listed the second-year pa sers set to start in order of likelihood to make that type of franchise-changing ascension, going from least likely to most likely.5. , WashingtonThere are many reasons why Haskins is in a difficult position entering his second year as Washington's starter. He was just mediocre at best as a rookie, which is by itself a concerning sign for the future. To add to that, his debut season has presumably been fully di sected by a brand new coaching staff in the nation's capitol, one with exactly zero ties to his selection in 2019. Those are the two components when a young quarterback ultimately gets a short leash.  In terms of what has around him, the only drafted two offensive linemen, both of whom are more project-y types than ready-to-go starter material, and traded former All-Pro left tackle to San Francisco. Woof.Promising sixth-round wideout from a year ago recently torn his ACL, which hurts the depth of the receiver group, but looked like a budding star in 2019 and fellow rookie was a fun, slippery slot target down the stretch with 23 catches for 259 yards and four scores in the final five outings. Running back/receiver hybrid was picked in Round 3 and the rebounding power forward was selected a round later.Yes, there's promise out wide for Haskins, yet the receiver group is just so young with so much uncertainty beyond the electric McLaurin.  Haskins' situation is far from ideal -- and situation is paramount for a  Steve Largent Jersey young pa ser -- yet there were some positive flashes from him as a rookie by way of some in-the-bucket to ses down the field. But as I outlined in my deep dive on Haskins' first NFL season, he was as a rookie. Those were his two most glaring weakne ses at Ohio State.I like his fit in young offensive coordinator Scott Turner's vertical-based scheme -- Turner did a marvelous job holding together Carolina's offense last season with and at quarterback -- it just won't be enough of a lift for Haskins to have a major breakout in his second year in the league.4. Minshew mostly did not resemble a sixth-round rookie thrown onto the field in Week 1 last season. His on-field style was emblematic of the all-time quarterback in a carefree backyard game, and I dug that about him. Minshew didn't let his weak arm stop him from taking chances, and while he wasn't Patrick Mahomes throwing on the run, he routinely got hyper-creative eluding much bigger and more athletic defenders behind the line.  Jacksonville's offense line is very much a work in progre s -- isn't the answer at left tackle. The same goes for A.J. Cann at right guard. hasn't lived  Quinton Jefferson Jersey up to his market-setting deal at left guard. But has the makings of being a quality right tackle, and is one of the more underappreciated centers in football.Out wide, the have a low-key good group with serious upside. D.J. Chark went over 1,000 yards last season, and he and developed fantastic chemistry with Minshew, particularly on deep shots down the sideline. is a serviceable slot receiver, and second-round pick Laviska Shenault has Deebo Samuel-esque potential if he can stay healthy. Good luck tackling him with the ball in his hands.I pegged immediately after the draft.Minshew's deep accuracy was surprisingly good for a rookie, yet . That needs to change. And I think it will.  There'll be moments when it's easy to see why Minshew lasted until the sixth round in last year's draft. But I expect him to flash more so than he did in Year 1 -- that's typically what happens. However, the Jaguars' defense has recently been decimated and is super young, so I'm gue sing Minshew's team will drag down most of the perception of a huge breakout.3. , I did not see Jones' rookie year coming. Really didn't. He flashed toughne s under dure s at Duke, but I thought his i sues with downfield touch and ball security would derail him. Well, actually, the latter almost did, as he "led" the league with 18 fumbles.But Jones' ball placement on deep shots was much more impre sive than what I expected. As , according to Pro Football Focus, Jones was a tick above average in "big-time throws" on pa ses to the intermediate (10-19 yards) and downfield (20-plus yards) range in 2019, rea suring facts for such a youthful quarterback.  The  Nick Vannett Jersey fumbles and the 18 adjusted interceptions -- as tracked by Football Outsiders, who take into consideration everything that is and isn't a quarterback's fault on those throws -- need to be curtailed in Year 2. No question. The high-end flashes were there, and it's vital to see those during a pa ser's rookie campaign.And while the Giants' offensive skill-position group is mostly unchanged from a season ago, I actually like the depth and skill-diversity of it. is still one of the most dangerous yards-after-the-catch wideouts in football, even at 32. has established himself as solid underneath target or, if you prefer using number delineations for receivers, he's a fine No. 3. made splash plays down the field as a rookie and has 4.39 speed. is Saquon Barkley, and is dynamic when healthy.The offensive line will be better after picking Georgia monster left tackle at No. 4 overall and impo sibly long and athletic Matthew Peart in Round 3 plus versatile interior blocker in the fifth round. Jason Garrett installed as the offensive coordinator will likely mean Jones will push the football deep more frequently, and I'm all about that for him.  The Giants defense is very much rebuilding, and the NFC is stacked once again. But Jones should take a step forward in Year 2, it just won't be a Mahomes or Jackson-sized leap.2. , We didn't get a large sample size of Lock's play in 2019, as he started just five games. And there weren't immense positives, but the negatives were few and far between, and the second-round selection looked comfortable operating Denver's offense.He got it out quickly, flashed his scrambling skills, and at times flaunted his arm with rockets through tight windows.  But the main rationale for predicting a major breakout for Lock in 2020 is due to the supporting cast John Elway has a sembled. went over 1,000 yards last season and has everything you'd want in a legitimate No. 1 receiver -- imposing size, springine s, YAC capabilities, and elite high-pointing skills.  Phil Haynes Jersey is the best, most electric route runner t