Autor Tema: orward had a  (Leído 2373 veces)

vv1122365

• Ver Perfil
orward had a
« : febrero 23, 2019, 12:24:26 am »
EDMONTON - A breakthrough result in her comeback from injuries has given triathlete Paula Findlay another chance to race in her hometown. The 25-year-old from Edmonton was a late addition to the Canadian team for the World Triathlon Grand Final in that city. Triathlon Canada announced Monday that Findlay will be added to the start list for the elite womens race Aug. 30. Once ranked No. 1 in the world in womens triathlon, Findlay has faced an assortment of injuries dating back to 2011 when she pulled out of a World Cup race in Edmonton. She finally raced pain-free and finished second at the Patco Premium Cup in Kelowna, B.C., on Sunday to gain consideration for the final. "Ive watched the World Cup race in Edmonton twice from the sidelines," Findlay said in a statement released by Triathlon Canada. "It is hard to watch because I have never had that experience to race at home so it means a lot to me, and will be special for sure. I have a family connection to the event with my mom who has been so involved in the planning of this race. Ive seen how much work it takes to put on an event like this. "Personally, I am starting a new chapter of my career now and to do that in my hometown will be cool." The TransCanada Corp. World Triathlon Grand Final is the last event in an eight-race series that determines the years mens and womens world triathlon champions. The competition includes world junior, under-23 and paratriathlon champions as well. Findlay joins Victorias Kirsten Sweetland, a silver medallist at this months Commonwealth Games, and Sarah-Anne Brault of Quebec City in the elite womens field. Kyle Jones of Oakville, Ont., and Andrew Yorke of Caledon, Ont., race the elite mens event Aug. 31. Findlays star shone bright prior to the 2012 Summer Olympics in London. She won six world championship series races over 2010 and 2011, including one on Londons Olympic course. But a hip injury suffered while preparing for a World Cup in Edmonton in July, 2011, was the beginning of a downward spiral. She split with her coach the following spring. With only six weeks of quality training prior to the Olympics, Findlay crossed the finish line last in London and sobbed out an apology to Canada. Olympic gold and silver medallist Simon Whitfield criticized her support team the following day for their handling of Findlays situation. Its been a series of health issues for Findlay since then which limited her races. The latest was a stress fracture in her pelvis diagnosed in March. Unable to run until recently, most of her training has been on the bike and in the pool. Findlay also has another new coach in Siri Lindley after parting ways with Joel Filiol in May. "It is not ideal to go into a world championships without a big season of races under your belt, but I got a new coach in June and it has been the best three months of my life following three very difficult years," Findlay said. "This spring I was really quite down. I lost hope and even considered giving up. But I am in such a good place right now mentally and physically. "And to be able to go back now and race in Edmonton is an extra spark of motivation for me." Triathlon Canada high-performance director Libby Burrell says Findlay deserves the chance to race in a "quality field without the weight of expectations on her shoulders." "Paula has a long road back to the top," Burrell continued. "She took a big step forward last weekend in Kelowna by finishing healthy and happy. This will be another small step in her journey to returning to being an elite athlete. Every decision we make regarding her now is with her long term health as our primary focus." Sweetland is a former world junior champion who also ran a gauntlet of injuries in her career. The 25-year-old won bronze in a World Triathlon Series race in Hamburg, Germany, this summer in addition to her Commonwealth silver in Glasgow, Scotland. "I have always looked up to Kirsten. Shes obviously been through a rough patch and similar journey to me and made her way back to the top," Findlay said. "Kirsten has shown it is possible. It is not easy, but it is possible." Robin Ventura Jersey . - Tiger Woods only made it through 10 holes Thursday — this time because of the weather, not his back. Michael Jordan Jersey . Reimer told TSNs Mark Masters on Tuesday that he doesnt know if he will be moved leading up to the March 5 trade deadline but added he wasnt interested in discussing it. "Who knows whats going to happen on the horizon here and right now I dont know if I want to talk about it too much. http://www.whitesoxteamshop.com/ . As if he had been rehearsing it, Vasquez looked around with a grimacing stare as he clinched two fists and flexed his muscles. What do you think of DeMar DeRozans face after he hits a big shot, he was asked moments earlier. Yolmer Sanchez Jersey . Johnny Manziel, college footballs most entertaining player with the reputation for pulling off magical plays, was selected with the No. Luis Aparicio Jersey .com) - Willie Cauley-Stein and Karl-Anthony Towns each scored 12 points in the top-ranked Kentucky Wildcats 70-55 victory over the Alabama Crimson Tide.ATLANTA -- A hot-shooting night has the Atlanta Hawks back in sole possession of a playoff spot. Poor shooting cost the Cleveland Cavaliers in a game they desperately needed. Mike Scott ended a scoring slump with 26 points and the Hawks beat Cleveland 117-98 on Friday night in a costly setback for the Cavaliers late-season playoff push. Atlanta moved one game ahead of the New York Knicks, who lost to Washington 90-89, in the race for the eighth playoff spot in the Eastern Conference. The Hawks had lost seven of eight but recovered with strong games by Scott and Jeff Teague, who had 20 points and 12 assists. "All year and under a lot of difference circumstances weve said we like our group and theyre resilient," Hawks coach Mike Budenholzer said. "They played with a lot of focus and effort and attention to detail and all the things we really talk about every night." Cavaliers coach Mike Brown was unhappy to see his team struggle with so much on the line. "They kicked our behind from the beginning to the end," Brown said. The Cavaliers lost an opportunity to move within a game of eighth place. Entering the game, Cleveland had won five of six but fell three games behind the Hawks with only five games remaining in the regular season. Brown was discouraged but stopped short of saying the Cavaliers couldnt recover from the loss. "No, it doesnt feel like its over but the loss is very, very disappointing," Brown said. "The way we lost it looked like we werent playing for much out there." Dion Waiters led Cleveland with 23 points. Spencer Hawes had 16 points and 10 rebounds and Kyrie Irving and Luol Deng each had 13 points. Scott made 12 of 13 shots from the field. The backup forward had a combined 16 points in his past four games. He topped that with 18 in the first half. "Finally," Scott said. "I was in a little shooting slump. I just kept being aggressive and kept gettingg extra shots and they finally fell.dddddddddddd" The Hawks set a season high with 39 first-quarter points, made 58.5 per cent of their shots from the field and never trailed. Atlanta led 39-23 after the first period. "The start that we got off to was something that was important," Budenholzer said. "Defensively, I thought we had a good first quarter. I think that kind of fueled our offence and our ball movement a little bit, taking care of the ball. That gave us the cushion that we were able to keep the rest of the game." The Hawks had 35 assists, three away from their season high. The Cavaliers made only 5 of 21 3-pointers and shot 39.6 per cent from the field overall while playing from behind the full game. "They jumped on us early," said Clevelands Jarrett Jack, who had nine points. "They dictated how this game was going to be played. We were playing an uphill battle all game." The Hawks had six 3-pointers in the big first quarter and 13 for the game. Atlanta committed nine turnovers in the second quarter, but Cleveland still outscored the Hawks only 26-22 in the period and trailed 61-49 at halftime. As Cleveland opened the second half going almost five minutes without a field goal, Teague took over for Atlanta. Teague had nine points in the third period, including three straight baskets and a driving layup to beat the buzzer at the end of the period. Teague added two 3-pointers in the last 3 minutes as the Cavaliers never mounted a serious challenge. Paul Millsap had 16 points, 11 rebounds and six assists for the Hawks. Lou Williams also had 16 points and six assists. NOTES: The Hawks completed a sweep of the three-game series. ... After missing one game with a sore right shoulder, Cavs C Anderson Varejao had nine points and five rebounds in 27 minutes. ... Irving played his second game after missing eight games with a torn bicep muscle. ... Hawes had 13 points in the third period. ' ' '