Autor Tema: their past 13 games at Oakland  (Leído 2857 veces)

vv1122365

• Ver Perfil
their past 13 games at Oakland
« : febrero 24, 2019, 10:53:31 pm »
ANAHEIM, Calif. - Teemu Selanne took one last tour of the Anaheim rink after the final horn, waving his stick at cheering fans while players from both teams banged their sticks on the ice. Despite the melancholy look on his face, the Finnish Flash said he has no regrets about returning to the Anaheim Ducks for one last season, even after they fell well short of another Stanley Cup title. Selannes 21-season NHL career likely ended Thursday night with a 6-2 loss to the Los Angeles Kings in Game 7 of their second-round series. The 43-year-old forward has maintained hell retire this summer, keeping to his plan even after starring in his sixth Olympics and playing a significant role during the best regular season in franchise history in Anaheim, his home for parts of 15 seasons. "Ive been flirting with this decision for a long time, but the passion and the fun always brought me back," said Selanne, who didnt score in the finale. "I still love this game, and I still know I can play, but it is better this way than having different situations, and thats why I think it is the right time." The crowd chanted "Lets Go Teemu" in the final minutes, with even Kings fans joining in. After the final horn, Selanne accepted congratulations and eventually made it to the dressing room, where his famed composure slipped. "I tried, but when I came in here, I couldnt hold myself anymore," Selanne said. "I didnt know what to do out there." Selanne kept returning to the Ducks for seven straight years after he first contemplated retirement following their only Stanley Cup championship in 2007, each time hoping the Ducks would make another title run. He kept moving up the NHLs career scoring chart, currently sitting 15th with 1,457 points and 11th with 684 goals. Selannes ice time with the Ducks dwindled this year while coach Bruce Boudreau worked younger players into key roles. He still played a dependable role in Anaheim, bottling his frustration for one more run at a Cup. "The 2007 Stanley Cup has to be the biggest crown for my career," Selanne said. "To be honest, the most proud I am is I have been able to play so many years and at this age. You all know when you get older, its not going to get any easier. But to be able to compete against these young guys and still enjoy this and play well, that has been the greatest thing in my career. Im really thankful for that." Selanne has a full life in Southern California waiting for him after retirement. He opened a successful steak house in Laguna Beach last year, and his four children are comfortable in their year-round home in Coto De Caza, an Orange County community on Selannes beloved golf course. Yet in classic Selanne fashion, he didnt slam the door completely shut on the possibility he could play elsewhere next season. Speculation has been rampant in Finland and Russia about the possibility of luring Selanne to Jokerit, the Helsinki-based club thats joining the Kontinental Hockey League in the fall. "I dont know, and I dont think so," Selanne said a potential move to Jokerit. "I know there is a lot of interest for that, but I always said I was going to retire here. To be honest, I really dont have to play anywhere anymore. I could if I want, but right now I dont want to." Selanne began his pro career with three years in Jokerits junior development program, and he played three seasons with the big-league club before joining the Winnipeg Jets for his record-setting NHL rookie year in 1992-93. The game also might have been a finale for Saku Koivu, Selannes fellow Finn and longtime friend. The 39-year-old Koivu was the Montreal Canadiens captain before moving to Anaheim five years ago. "I really dont have an answer for you," Koivu said. "Usually after the season, the last three or four years, Ive been signing one-year contracts. And Im going to go the same road, just to get away from the game for a couple of weeks and really take a good careful look at what happened, how the season went, and if there is enough left to come back and push for another year." Adidas Superstar Baratas España . -- David Ortiz saved his only hit for a key moment for the Boston Red Sox. Comprar Adidas Superstar Baratas . -- The Detroit Lions made it crystal clear to Golden Tate that he was their top target in free agency. http://www.baratasadidassuperstar.es/ . The outdoor event will be played on Dec. 31 between alumni of the New York Rangers and Philadelphia Flyers at Citizens Bank Park, the home of the Philadelphia Phillies. Adidas Superstar España Baratas . He has spent much of his adult life trying to give back to his native South Sudan, the war-torn African nation the Cavaliers forward and his family fled when he was a young boy. Adidas Superstar España . According to various reports, the striker is about to sign a five-and-a-half year extension with Manchester United worth a reported 300,000 pounds a week that would see him at Old Trafford until 2019.OAKLAND, Calif. - Sonny Gray struck out eight to win his third straight decision, and the Oakland Athletics beat the San Francisco Giants 6-1 on Tuesday night for their sixth consecutive victory. Coco Crisp hit an RBI single and stole his 16th base and Nick Punto doubled in a run during a four-run third against Madison Bumgarner (9-7), handed his second three-start skid of the year. The lefty didnt allow a hit until Jed Lowries blooper leading off the third that landed in front of a charging right fielder Hunter Pence, who avoided a collision with second baseman Joe Panik. Oakland did all its damage that inning on the way to matching its season-high winning streak. The As (57-33) concluded their homestand 6-0, just the 11th undefeated homestand of six or more games in Oakland history. The low-budget club with baseballs best record has won 11 of its past 12 games at the Coliseum. Gray (9-3) reached eight or more strikeouts for the fourth time in seven impressive innings, having struck out nine twice. He is on a nice roll after losing back-to-back starts to the Orioles and Yankees on June 7 and 13. It was an impressive first start against the Giants for the right-hander in his first full big league season. He showed his poise on the big stage facing the Tigers twice in last falls five-game AL division series loss. The As have outscored the Giants 11-1 in the first two games of the Bay Bridge Series following a 5-0 win Monday. The interleague series now shifts across San Francisco Bay to AT&T Park for two. San Francisco avoided being shut out in consecutive games for the first time since July 28-29, 2012, against the Dodgers at AT&T Park. Yet the Giannts lost for the 11th time in their past 13 games at Oakland dating to the 2010 season when they went on to win the World Series.dddddddddddd Pablo Sandoval returned to the Giants lineup for the first time since leaving Saturdays game at San Diego in the first inning with a bruised left elbow. Giants manager Bruce Bochy requested a review of a close play at first in which Sandoval was called out trying to beat out a fourth-inning grounder. The call was upheld after a replay review of 1 minute, 28 seconds. Bochy came out again in the eighth to argue after reliever Jean Machi was called for a balk. Machi was then ejected by plate umpire Angel Hernandez as the reliever walked off the field at the end of the inning. As starters have thrown six or more innings while allowing one or fewer runs in six straight games, their longest streak since at least 1914. NOTES: As RF Josh Reddick is making progress toward a rehab assignment as he recovers from a strained right knee and his second DL stint. He could play in minor league games as soon as this weekend and during the All-Star break. Reddick has shagged fly balls and thrown without issue the past two days, wearing a bulky brace he expects he will need the rest of the year. ... Oakland manager Bob Melvin presented Oaklands seven All-Stars — including then-NL All-Star Jeff Samardjiza — with red jerseys before the game. ... Giants 2B Marco Scutaro, who hasnt played this year because of a lower back strain, went 0 for 4 with two strikeouts and a run scored for Triple-A Fresno. Bochy expects him to soon play nine innings in a rehab game. "Were seeing the light at the end of the tunnel," Bochy said. ' ' '